Sunday, March 23, 2008

Latest Finds...

I have been into a Health Kick lately. Not that I've lost many pounds yet (about 5), but I have been feeling a lot better and have lost a few inches. It's a slow process. But, in my wandering around looking at health sites online, I thought I would share my latest finds.....

Daily Plate: www.thedailyplate.com
This is a daily food and fitness tracker. There are several food logs out there, but I found I like this one the best because it has so many restaurant foods already entered, so I don't have to guess at how many calories are in the chicken platter at Chili's...someone already did the hard work for me. Another fun thing.. after so many days of logging in or tracking fitness, you are awarded "badges" for your hard work. :) Whatever works.

Gmaps-Pedometer: www.gmap-pedometer.com
This is a great site for finding out the distance of your walks around the neighborhood. I like to use it to plan out where I'll be going. When I'm increasing my distances, it's nice to plan ahead so I can increase the distance but still be home in time for work. :)

Podfitness: www.podfitness.com
This is a fun site that allows you to download customized workouts onto your ipod (or any mp3 player). I just finished my free 8-week trial. You put into your profile what workouts you like to do, at the gym or home, what equipment you have, how long you'd like to workout for and it recommends trainers for you. They have about 80 different trainers for everything from walking to yoga to weight training. Although I think this site is cool, at the moment I'm not using it. Because my free trial is over, I'm trying to discover new alternates to paying. :)

Free Podcasts
Couch to 5k: www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html
Podcast Intervals: www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html
These are two sites I'm trying out. I'm on my third week using these podcasts for my "training." :) Each week, you run three times a week, running a little bit farther each week. The first week is running 60 seconds, walking for 90 seconds, for about 8 intervals. The second week is running 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds. The third week, you run 90 seconds, walk 90 sec., run 3 minutes, walk three min and then repeat. After the third week I can't tell you about because I'm not there, yet. I have my goals set though. You are supposed to be able to run 5k (3.2 miles) after 9 weeks of this schedule. SO, I'm registering for a 5k in May. That will be my motivation to continue on. Plus, I've written it down here on the blog, so that will be very encouraging knowing that others are now aware of what I'm trying to do too. I'll keep you informed of my progress!

No comments: